What It Is
Shea Moisture’s Argan Oil & Raw Shea Eczema, Psoriasis & Dry Skin Relief Soak is quite a mouthful to say, but it’s also packed with skin-loving ingredients. This nutrient rich bath soak helps soften and soothe inflamed dry skin, with argan oil and shea butter to help repair and moisturize dry skin, Dead Sea salts and Epsom salts (which helps with increasing circulation and detoxification), and other nourishing ingredients.
Main Ingredients:• Dead Sea salts
• Magnesium sulfate (Epsom’s Salts)
• Shea Butter
• Argania Spinosa (Argan) Nut Oil • Manufacturer: SheaMoisture
• Price: $9.99, 20 oz jar
Pros• No Parabens
• No Phthalates
• No Paraffin
• No Propylene Glycol
• No Mineral Oil
• No Synthetic fragrance
• No Animal Testing
• No PABA
• No Synthetic color
• No DEA
• No Sulfates
(Note magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) is not a surfactant like sodium lauryl sulfate, which strips the skin of moisture. Magnesium doesn’t strip the skin of natural oils.
Cons• I don’t think this is really considered a con, just a warning from the company: this bath soak is not recommended for those who have high blood pressure, are lactating or are pregnant.
I have been pretty much sold on the benefits of Dead Sea salts and Epsom salts, which I’ve been using as a bath soak for years. The addition of another favorite ingredient, shea butter, and my new fave, argan oil, both of which moisturize and repair dry skin, makes this bath soak a great new addition to the bath and relaxation experience.
I also checked into some of the other ingredients:
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) has antibacterial qualities and combats dry skin.
- Sweet almond oil is an emollient that contains vitamins A, D and E, linoleic and oleic acids, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It softens and soothes the skin and is good for dry skin, relieving itchiness, rashes and irritation.
- Avocado oil contains emollients and nutrients and is good for dry and damaged skin, and is often used for eczema and psoriasis.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant that heals and protects the skin.
- Calendula flower has moisturizing and antioxidant properties. It is used to sooth minor skin disorders, like pimples and chapped skin, and is believed to be good for psoriasis and dermatitis because of its antiseptic and inflammatory properties and ability to help regenerate skin.
- Comfrey extract helps promote the healing of skin injuries by helping to form new skin cells, reduces inflammation and is good for skin conditions like acne, dermatitis, psoriasis and sunburn.
- Nettle is good for inflammatory conditions and decreases the risk of eczema and other skin disorders, as well as joint pain, muscle aches and reduces irritation.
- Frankincense has skin balancing and toning qualities and also encourages the generation of new skin cells.
- Myrrh has antiseptic qualities, hydrates and soothes chapped and cracked skin.
It’s rare when I don’t find anything wrong with a product. Not that I'm looking for fault, but many products that I love have ingredients that I'd rather not be exposed to. But Shea Moisture’s Eczema, Psoriasis & Dry Relief Soak is a great bath soak with benefits. It's best to use it in a lukewarm to warm bath, not hot (hot water feels good, but contributes to dry skin and will defeat the purpose of this bath soak). I didn’t need to put body lotion on afterwards. I don’t recommend this, though; I just wanted to see if my skin would remain soft. It did, but if you tend to have dry skin like me, it’s a good idea to apply lotion or body butter on damp skin to seal in moisture.